Useful Information


A structural engineer’s report is frequently required at a time of sale. This may be required to investigate and advise upon a specific structural defect, such as a crack in brickwork, a bulging wall, or a sagging roof. Carley Daines and Partners Limited have undertaken over 10,000 such inspections.

Alternatively, it may be necessary to carry out an overall appraisal of the entire building for evidence of structural movement or structural damage.


Planning is regulated by the Local Authority and controls the public’s freedom to alter their property or to construct new development. Planning Permission is not always required (particularly for very small developments) and initially, advice can be obtained from the Area Planning Officer for the relevant Local Authority. Carley Daines & Partners are frequently involved in the planning process, producing Preliminary Risk Assessments, Contaminated Land Studies and Desk Studies of potential development sites.

The form also produces many Flood Risk Assessments.

Furthermore, we frequently advise specifically on highway matters, particularly the construction of new junctions onto existing roads.


Building Regulations are also controlled by the Local Authority, and are established as an Act of Parliament. The purpose of the regulations is to ensure that new construction complies with a set of standards, dealing with issues such as structural safety, fire safety, disabled access, drainage and ventilation, amongst others. Carley Daines and Partners specialise in advising upon Part A of the Building Regulations relating to “Structure”.


Many buildings in the United Kingdom are listed because of special architectural or historic interest. They may be listed because of their association with a well known architect, or because they are a good example of a building type from a particular period of construction. Special consent must be obtained from the Local Authority before any alteration or conversion works are carried out on a listed building.


Many Local Authorities designate areas to be conservation zones because they are of a particular character, period of construction, or appearance. Within a conservation area, special consent is required from the Local Authority before undertaking any alterations or construction works.


The Party Wall Act came into force in 1997 and relates to work being carried out on, or close to, a party wall. Typically, construction of foundations for a new property or an extension within 3 metres of a neighbouring wall would fall under the terms of the Party Wall Act. Furthermore, other significant structural work, such as supporting a new steel beam on a shared wall within a terrace of properties would also fall under the terms of the Party Wall Act. Carley Daines and Partners Limited are frequently employed to give advice in party wall situations, and have on occasions been employed as the nominated Party Wall Surveyor.


The Construction Design & Management Regulations were developed in an attempt to improve health & safety on construction sites and have been significantly updated in 2015. The client appoints a Principal Designer who is responsible for coordinating health & safety, and is responsible for preparing a Health & Safety Plan containing Risk Assessments identifying what are considered to be the principal dangers on site. Carley Daines & Partners have extensive experience of the preparation of engineering risk assessments to input into the Health and Safety Plan and working with other members of the design team to maximise construction safety.

Carley Daines and Partners Limited offer engineering services as follows :-

  • Structural Design
  • Foundation Design
  • Geotechnical and Environmental Investigations
  • Structural Engineering Inspections
  • Forensic and expert witness engineering services
  • Advice on dangerous buildings